Firestar-My hero
She's always been a true friend and a great inspiration to me. Now she's also my hero. Firestar homeschools her 3 boys with lots of love and field trips, activities and great books. Her energy seems boundless and her wisdom and love belie her years. Though we're states apart, and only hung out together for a year or so, she's still the one I call when I'm trying to figure out homeschool stuff with Zoom, or need a boost of encouragement or just someone who understands.
This fall, instead of just starting another year of homeschool, Firestar learned that she had breast cancer. With grace and an amazing attitude she faced the radical surgery. The doctors had hopes that it was early enough that she would not need to undergo chemo afterwards. Weeks into the recovery from surgery she learned she would need the chemotherapy. So now my dear friend would have to face the four rounds of toxic chemicals to eradicate the cancer cells. Through all this, she has been continuing to care for her 3 precious children, even taking them on fun field trips....I think it's a great distraction for her too!
I was so blessed this month to have the opportunity to go and spend a week with her. She'd just had her first dose of chemo, her husband who has been incredible through it all had to go on a business trip, and so Zoom, Squeak and I descended upon the home to bring cheer and chaos, some household help and maybe just a bit of distraction from the journey.
Firestar amazes me. Tired and I'm sure overwhelmed, she refuses to wallow in self-pity. She refuses to have breast cancer become her identity. She's trusting in God and slowly but surely walking her way out of this chapter of her life. She's a true hero.
A few highlights of our visit:
It rained all week, but the boys had a lot of fun making inventions, dressing up in costumes and above all, playing legos together. We also went bowling. Our "team" did great! Firestar even had us signed up for a field trip to a homemade sweet shop chocolate factory tour. Too bad I am allergic to chocolate. It was amazing!
God orchestrated things so that Firestar and I were able to go to my old gentle yoga class with M, who was such a wonderful nurturing help to me after my endometriosis surgeries prior to Squeak's conception. My son's old babysitter was amazingly available to babysit. And I couldn't believe that Firestar was willing to go! I don't know if I would have been. Miraculously, after the yoga, Firestar slept well for the first time in 8 weeks and the next day felt fine--no sick chemo feeling. Mysteriously during yoga I got very sick with migraine and nausea. That evening I got violently ill. I half-jokingly said, "I'll take the chemo for you just for tonight!" It sure felt that way to us. She's decided to keep doing yoga with M for the duration twice a week. She said, "Finally, I can do something FOR myself instead of things being done TO me!"
We also had the chance to spend hours together just sharing homeschool and parenting ideas and resources, enjoy a chick flick, and share life together as we support our husbands in their careers, learn to provide healthy foods choices for our families, and grow as women of God. I was so blessed. Yes, the kids all got sick, it rained and it was tiring for us both, but such a special time that I will treasure always.
Take some time this winter to pray for my hero. She has 3 more chemo rounds to go between now and Valentine's Day. Each day she gets up to love and build into the lives of her three boys, despite the effects of the chemo. She longs for the day when this is all behind her. Pray that time flies and the silver lining in this cloud carries her through her days.
When she's completely done and healed, she's going to come visit me and we'll celebrate the beginning of a new chapter in Firestar's life!
Love,
Dawn


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home