Joy in the Journey

Monday, October 15, 2007

Where to begin?

Hey All!
Once again it's been ages since I've blogged. So often I think, "Gosh, I'll have to put that in my blog." And then life gets busy and I don't get to it. And I'm incredibly bad about pictures. Well, maybe I can console myself with the thought that at least I'm living life instead of spending all my time writing about it...

A few thoughts to share...

We had an awesome, incredible visit back east. Much thanks to all those loved ones--friends and family--that we got to visit. That hosted us, fed us, put up with our messes...and just loved on us. I really enjoyed Squeak getting to meet everyone. It was especially fun to see her older cousins be "mother's helpers". (If only they lived next door to me!) All the previously mentioned activities--the wedding, the baby dedication, the field trips and birthday and mini-vacations--were wonderful too. I am so blessed.

We jumped right back into school when we got home. Zoom is doing very well. He's learned to read so well he's now reading a lot of his literature and history texts himself. His handwriting has improved and he thinks great thoughts. He said today that he likes school a lot. Lest you think things are all rosy...he insists on playing his own songs on the recorder and doesn't want to learn the new ones in his lessons, he alternately lays on the floor or flips around the room while narrating his lessons, and at least once a day he sits down and writes Daddio a letter detailing how mean Mommy is and what horrible things I've done to him. Oy. Welp, it's never a dull moment.

Squeak is growing so quickly. I was talking with a first time mom about that and we decided that the first time around everything DOESN'T go quickly, each new thing is amazing and terrifying and could last forever (thank God it doesn't!) The second time around you realize how short each baby stage is and that it flies by (especially when you are busy with another older one!) Before you know it, they are no longer infants by toddlers... A friend gave me a book for Squeak's dedication called, "Let me Hold You Longer." It's about the "lasts"--last time the baby nursed, last time he /she jumped into your arms for a hug...etc. I read it and literally bawled my eyes out! Hysterically. For at least 15 minutes. The dog came in and sat next to me with worried eyes and a sympathetic nuzzle... Each time I get special moments with Squeak I just want to freeze-frame them and savor them. She is such a sweet girl and so easy. I don't want her easiness to cause me to miss precious moments of connection. That is something I want to be intentional about.

Zoom started a class called NEWTS. Every Wednesday he goes out into the Redwoods with his instructors and 5 other boys to get muddy, find salamanders, learn survival and environmental stuff and get in touch with nature. Inevitably he's soaking wet when I pick him up from falling into the creek. Or last week, I wished he was soaking wet because he'd camo'ed himself with mud and sticks in his hair, face and body. The instructor has said to me that she sees him in the future as a avid rock-climber or a professional outdoorsman. He's in his element. A huge bonus is that once a week, Squeak and I get a 5 hours to ourselves to have our girl time. It's a blessing to have a class like this when homeschooling...and it's all year long! Chase will be attending this class for years to come....I am pretty sure of that!

Other blessings....we had decided after riding my sister's bike with Squeak on the back in NJ that we wanted bikes for Christmas. That means, a bike for Daddio, one for me, a new one for Zoom (he's outgrown his) and a seat and helmet for Squeak. I wondered where we'd get THAT kind of money. It's been very limited recently. But I prayed about it and set a bit of Christmas money aside and just asked God to do a miracle. Ya know, He's good about that.....
Not long after I set the money I had aside (about $150) I saw on craigslist.org a bike shop ad trying to get rid of bikes so they can make room for new inventory before Christmas. We stopped in the shop and got all three bikes for under $200 TOTAL! And they are very good bikes. My bike is a Cannondale that originally sold for $700-$800. And Zoom's sold for $300 originally. The bike shop cleaned them up and tuned them up which they normally charged $80 for and we bought the bikes for less than that! They truly blessed us and we are tickled that we have bikes for Christmas. Now all we need are helmets for me and Squeak, a seat for her and a bike rack for the car. God is good!

I love to sing God's praises and look at what's good in my life. But it ain't always so. I know life isn't just roses...

I'd like to ask your prayers for some people precious to me.

Teddy bear--his wife of over 50 years just died. He's lost his best friend. I can only imagine the depth of that loss. Please pray for his comfort and encouragement.

Firestar--my dear friend just diagnosed with breast cancer...She's amazing and brave and a homeschool mom of three great boys. She's got a great prognosis, but goes in for major surgery next Monday. Pray for her..strength, perfect surgery and recovery and full cure.

Mariah--her husband is dying of cancer, she's not much older than me. She needs God's light and hope and strength in her day-to-day and in her family interactions. God's grace.

My prayer is that this LONG-WINDED blog finds you well and counting your blessings. May they be many.
Love,
Dawn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home