Joy in the Journey

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Kauai Delights





We're experiencing our first day of Kauai bliss. It was windy and overcast and chilly, but fabulously beautiful! The kids were so excited to swim in the ocean, we walked a few miles to Poipu beach, which is more kid-friendly with protected little beaches. I am so proud of my kids, particularly Sophie for managing to walk along the cliffs and roads 1.5 miles there, play for hours on the playground, beach and surf and then walking all the way back...after a great burger at Brennecke's.
After a rest, we'll be heading to the pool for more water fun. Gotta get it while we can!

Note of self-reflection: One affirmation I've been dwelling on is this: Suffering is optional. (Especially for someone like me, from America with all my needs and a WHOLE lot of wants met every day.) I imagine it would mean a whole different thing to a mom with AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa, or someone living out the aftermath of an earthquake.
But in my little world, it was remarkable how frequently I noticed myself going to "suffering." Like, wow. The long flight to Kauai I had to sit between my kids while Mark napped across the aisle. Or why does it have to be so windy, rainy and chilly when WE are here? Silly me. As soon as I noticed it though, and my tendency toward it, I also became aware that I DO have a choice. Do I want to see what isn't my ideal and focus on my perceived lack? Or do I want to simply relax and revel in the amazing gifts that are happening and available at the very same moment?
What a beautiful gift to have that pointed out to me! (Shame that it doesn't come naturally!)
I'm so grateful to have the daily opportunity to learn and grow and start anew. And how much more enjoyable this trip is with me making these choices. Not just for me, but for my husband, children and others I'm around.

Yay! I love a happy moment!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home