Rite of Passage...*sniff*sniff*
Well, there he goes, growing up a bit more on me! Zoom has been blossoming lately in maturity and self-control, and kindness and so many other ways. Today he did something I didn't expect and to be honest, wasn't really ready for!
He decided to give ALL his stuffed animals to Squeak! This is the boy who, less than 6 months ago didn't want her to TOUCH any of his things, let alone play with them, let alone HAVE them. This is the boy who loved his stuffed animals so much and played with them all the time--even this, his 7th year! He'd make beds for them, talk to them, sleep with them at night, carry them around in his pockets...Once, he took a small sea otter stuffed animal with magnetic hands to Rite Aid. He was throwing it up in the air and catching it. Suddenly, he threw it so high that it stuck to the metal in the flourescent light box and wouldn't come down! (It must have been 30 feet high!) We had to come back the next day after the maintenance guy brought a huge ladder to get it overnight.
At any rate, I have so many precious memories of my little boy with his stuffed animals. Now, he wants to give ALL of them to Squeak. That's precious and a HUGE step for him in accepting and loving the little bundle that rocked his world last year, so I celebrate that. But ALL of them? Didn't he just want to keep the tiger that is Hobbes when he's Calvin? Didn't he want his special sea otter that we spent hours wandering in the dog park looking for? Lioney, the little lion who was his special buddy? Oy. I wasn't ready.
When I asked him what prompted him to give them to his sister he said, "I think I'm getting too big for stuffed animals." Sob. Sniff.
Well, at least they are still in the house. And I told him that any time he missed one, I was sure Squeak wouldn't mind sharing. Secretly, I hope he holds onto just one or two. I don't want him to give up that sweet innocent stuffed animally part of himself. Not just yet.
He decided to give ALL his stuffed animals to Squeak! This is the boy who, less than 6 months ago didn't want her to TOUCH any of his things, let alone play with them, let alone HAVE them. This is the boy who loved his stuffed animals so much and played with them all the time--even this, his 7th year! He'd make beds for them, talk to them, sleep with them at night, carry them around in his pockets...Once, he took a small sea otter stuffed animal with magnetic hands to Rite Aid. He was throwing it up in the air and catching it. Suddenly, he threw it so high that it stuck to the metal in the flourescent light box and wouldn't come down! (It must have been 30 feet high!) We had to come back the next day after the maintenance guy brought a huge ladder to get it overnight.
At any rate, I have so many precious memories of my little boy with his stuffed animals. Now, he wants to give ALL of them to Squeak. That's precious and a HUGE step for him in accepting and loving the little bundle that rocked his world last year, so I celebrate that. But ALL of them? Didn't he just want to keep the tiger that is Hobbes when he's Calvin? Didn't he want his special sea otter that we spent hours wandering in the dog park looking for? Lioney, the little lion who was his special buddy? Oy. I wasn't ready.
When I asked him what prompted him to give them to his sister he said, "I think I'm getting too big for stuffed animals." Sob. Sniff.
Well, at least they are still in the house. And I told him that any time he missed one, I was sure Squeak wouldn't mind sharing. Secretly, I hope he holds onto just one or two. I don't want him to give up that sweet innocent stuffed animally part of himself. Not just yet.


1 Comments:
So sweet. They do grow fast don't they. That is awesome that he is starting to be able to love on his sister a bit. Love you guys, Lori
By
Anonymous, at 9:44 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home