Legacy
That word had been rolling around in my mind and I thought I'd share some musings and inspirations regarding it.
I've been reading two VERY COOL books and they are so inspirational that I thought I'd post about them in case somebody else could be inspired as well! The first is called "I Dare You" by Joyce Meyer. It's about living life with passion and purpose. The second is called "First Things First" by Stephen Covey. It's about looking at your life and instead of being busy doing urgent trivial stuff, recognizing the important stuff in life and focusing on that. This morning I was reading about what he says about the four basic needs we have in life--to live, to love, to learn and to leave a legacy. He was saying how when we focus on one and neglect another the whole suffers. And how leaving a legacy--having a purpose, meaning, spiritual life and passion is the fire what ignites your life.
That really excites me. I don't want to just go through the motions of living. I don't want to be so busy doing dishes and laundry and paying bills that I don't do the important work of living, loving, learning and leaving a legacy. I am excited to spend time with God and these books early in the morning to focus my time and attention and live a life worthwhile. I have a long way to go, but it IS a journey and I'm happy to be on it instead of doing time.
Last night I listened to a song by Nicole Nordeman about 6 times. It's simply called "Legacy." If I knew how to put music in here I would, but since I don't I'll leave you with the words to the song.
Legacy by Nicole Nordeman
I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all the who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such 'n such...it wouldn't matter much
I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an "Atta boy" or "Atta girl"
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
the temporary trappings of this world
Chorus:
I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough to make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy
I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthy list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon destroy
I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough to make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy
Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well done" good and faithful one
I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough to make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy
That's something to think about.
Next post: Squeak's hats. She loves wearing hats and as soon as I have a few minutes I'll get some pictures together for the blog here of her wearing them. :)
I've been reading two VERY COOL books and they are so inspirational that I thought I'd post about them in case somebody else could be inspired as well! The first is called "I Dare You" by Joyce Meyer. It's about living life with passion and purpose. The second is called "First Things First" by Stephen Covey. It's about looking at your life and instead of being busy doing urgent trivial stuff, recognizing the important stuff in life and focusing on that. This morning I was reading about what he says about the four basic needs we have in life--to live, to love, to learn and to leave a legacy. He was saying how when we focus on one and neglect another the whole suffers. And how leaving a legacy--having a purpose, meaning, spiritual life and passion is the fire what ignites your life.
That really excites me. I don't want to just go through the motions of living. I don't want to be so busy doing dishes and laundry and paying bills that I don't do the important work of living, loving, learning and leaving a legacy. I am excited to spend time with God and these books early in the morning to focus my time and attention and live a life worthwhile. I have a long way to go, but it IS a journey and I'm happy to be on it instead of doing time.
Last night I listened to a song by Nicole Nordeman about 6 times. It's simply called "Legacy." If I knew how to put music in here I would, but since I don't I'll leave you with the words to the song.
Legacy by Nicole Nordeman
I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all the who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such 'n such...it wouldn't matter much
I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an "Atta boy" or "Atta girl"
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
the temporary trappings of this world
Chorus:
I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough to make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy
I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthy list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon destroy
I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough to make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy
Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well done" good and faithful one
I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough to make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who blessed Your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy
That's something to think about.
Next post: Squeak's hats. She loves wearing hats and as soon as I have a few minutes I'll get some pictures together for the blog here of her wearing them. :)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home