Joy in the Journey

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Our Town

I'm learning bits and pieces about our area here and it's been fun. I thought that I'd share a little with you.

We live in the foothills of the Cascade Mountain Range in the Snoqualmie Valley. I recently learned that the Snoqualmie Indian Tribe still lives here. They weren't on a reservation, rather, they integrated into the towns in the valley. But they kept their tribal unity and identity. After 50 years of petitioning, just recently, like in the 1990s, they were granted the status of a Nation again. Their headquarters are right in my hometown! Not only that, but the small town I live in didn't have a doctor, so the Snoqualmie Nation stepped up and is providing healthcare not just to the tribe but to all who live here. (They take insurance too--and it helps offset the cost for those who don't have it.) So our doctors work for the Snoqualmie Nation! I thought that was pretty neat. They have an herb garden behind the clinic that helps to integrate modern medicine with traditional medicine.

More on our town in posts to come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home