Road Trip!
Okay, so it's been nearly a year since I've posted! Facebook kept me in touch with you all in a more immediate way. But I want an archive of our road trip, so I'm going to try to blog as we go. And I know how to put pictures up here a bit more easily.
So we started out yesterday the 16th from our home in Carnation, WA. It took till 10 to get on the road, but we made it to Spokane by 5:30. The weather has been unpredictably crappy for June, but you know what? I've decided that we're going to have a fun road trip rain or shine.
So what's in Spokane? Our Come Alive friends who lived in the SF Bay area at the same time as us and moved to Spokane when we moved to Seattleland. Zoom had fun playing with their boys..they traded Yugioh cards and watched the Truman Show. Seriously. Danell made a fabulous meal and Mark hasn't stopped raving about her homemade bread. So that was a really nice way to start out our trip--visiting friends and having good food. The weather? 48 and rainy.
Day 2
We drove to Butte, Montana. Idaho was pretty. Pretty rainy. But still, incredibly beautiful. We saw this little town that looked like it was right out of the 1870's and had to stop. (It was lunchtime anyhow.) Turns out, Wallace, Idaho has its whole town--all the building--on the National Historic Building Registry. There are tons of bitty museums and such and a funky little dive where we ultimately stopped for lunch called The Red Garage. Part antique shop, part diner, they made good burgers and a mean huckleberry milkshake. I had two in honor of my birthday. The weather? 44 and rainy. Wallace is a mining town, actually the Silver Mining area of the world. Huge amounts of silver were mined in the day and still are. It was a neat quick stop.
Kept driving for most of the afternoon. Montana--the west end in particular--is amazingly beautiful like the crazy coolest movie set imaginable. Still rainy and 44. There was fresh snow in the mountains, and we decided NOT to camp in Yellowstone. I think they are having a late season snow storm. Still, I'm glad I brought our long-johns, fleece and wool. We're using them!
We got to Butte and checked two hotels. One didn't accept pets, the other was so skanky that after we lugged the exhausted kids, dog and stuff in and looked around, I made Mark get a refund and we drove across town. (It DID have an amazing pool with a cool slide, but I still wasn't going to pay for a room like that!) Found a good place for the same rate and got Sophie to bed while Mark and Chase went out to eat.
Tomorrow, we plan to swim a while, visit the Mining Museum and Mineral Museum and stay the night again. The next day, we will head toward Bozeman and the Dinosaur museum and Lewis and Clark Underground Caverns. So cool!
Pictures tomorrow--when I can find the camera.
So we started out yesterday the 16th from our home in Carnation, WA. It took till 10 to get on the road, but we made it to Spokane by 5:30. The weather has been unpredictably crappy for June, but you know what? I've decided that we're going to have a fun road trip rain or shine.
So what's in Spokane? Our Come Alive friends who lived in the SF Bay area at the same time as us and moved to Spokane when we moved to Seattleland. Zoom had fun playing with their boys..they traded Yugioh cards and watched the Truman Show. Seriously. Danell made a fabulous meal and Mark hasn't stopped raving about her homemade bread. So that was a really nice way to start out our trip--visiting friends and having good food. The weather? 48 and rainy.
Day 2
We drove to Butte, Montana. Idaho was pretty. Pretty rainy. But still, incredibly beautiful. We saw this little town that looked like it was right out of the 1870's and had to stop. (It was lunchtime anyhow.) Turns out, Wallace, Idaho has its whole town--all the building--on the National Historic Building Registry. There are tons of bitty museums and such and a funky little dive where we ultimately stopped for lunch called The Red Garage. Part antique shop, part diner, they made good burgers and a mean huckleberry milkshake. I had two in honor of my birthday. The weather? 44 and rainy. Wallace is a mining town, actually the Silver Mining area of the world. Huge amounts of silver were mined in the day and still are. It was a neat quick stop.
Kept driving for most of the afternoon. Montana--the west end in particular--is amazingly beautiful like the crazy coolest movie set imaginable. Still rainy and 44. There was fresh snow in the mountains, and we decided NOT to camp in Yellowstone. I think they are having a late season snow storm. Still, I'm glad I brought our long-johns, fleece and wool. We're using them!
We got to Butte and checked two hotels. One didn't accept pets, the other was so skanky that after we lugged the exhausted kids, dog and stuff in and looked around, I made Mark get a refund and we drove across town. (It DID have an amazing pool with a cool slide, but I still wasn't going to pay for a room like that!) Found a good place for the same rate and got Sophie to bed while Mark and Chase went out to eat.
Tomorrow, we plan to swim a while, visit the Mining Museum and Mineral Museum and stay the night again. The next day, we will head toward Bozeman and the Dinosaur museum and Lewis and Clark Underground Caverns. So cool!
Pictures tomorrow--when I can find the camera.


1 Comments:
I can't wait to read all about your road trip and see the pics!
By
Deneen, at 8:27 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home