Joy in the Journey

Saturday, June 03, 2006

We're still alive!

Hey all,
It seems that I can only manage to update my blog every two weeks or so. Terrible for a blogger. Oh well. At least you all can just put it on your calendars twice a month to check instead of checking in frustration every day or so!
Yes, we are still alive out here in CA. And even somewhat functional. Oh, we do have breakdowns on a regular basis. But step by step we are carving out a life again.

We found a lovely home to rent in a little coastside village called Moss Beach. It will be the smallest town we've ever lived in--400 people. Not that it's far from any bigger cities. From the living room, you can even see a bit of the ocean waves...it's really a great place. And by the grace of God the family liked us so much that they offered us a discounted rental price--$200 off a month! That'll help with buying diapers and gas! The village is very young family oriented, and built their own really nice playground. There is even an active homeschool group. Zoomer and I went on thursday to meet the homeschoolers (coastside) and they are all ages and quite diverse. A good start. Zoomer had asked me if there were any drama classes available for him, small with no performance in front of people necessary. Hmmm...well, I asked the homeschool moms and it turns out there is a very active drama/theater group in Half Moon Bay, the next town down the coast. I will be calling to see if we could try a class for Zoomer. (He loves theater, especially musical theater.) Coastside, where we will live is much cooler than the inland peninsula. I'll be able to wear wool in the summer--and everyone loves to knit there! It can be foggy and downright cold at time, but we will have a wood burning stove in the living room, and a spa tub in the backyard, plus we can always drive 30 minutes to the warmth and pools of the inland peninsula towns.
Only bummer about this place is that we don't move in until August, and it's only a year lease. But we figured, we'd really like to try the coastside living, and we're not sure we'll love the cooler weather, so we can always move inland after the year trial. And if we love it, Half Moon Bay seems to have frequent rentals.

So for June we found a home in Palo Alto, fully furnished that we can rent that will be close to 50% cheaper than our one-room hotel home, plus it has live chickens (fresh eggs), a creek, a playground set, a piano, a cool drumset, kayaks, rollerblades, and a big screen tv--did I mention the 3 bedrooms and a loft?!!! We're so looking forward to having room to relax! The family is going to Australia for a few weeks and we're watching (enjoying) their home! God truly is so good and provides. Yay!
We're still up in the air for July. I suppose we could always do a hotel again, but I'm looking for a short term rental like our June one.

May was pretty disconcerting with me feeling so tired and nauseous still. It took a long time to sort out the health insurance plans and find what I would like for pregnancy/delivery care, but I think, by the grace of God, we've finally found it. I start prenatal yoga this morning too. And I am just now starting to have a little more energy, although I think I'm still asleep more than awake! Hopefully soon the middle trimester will kick in and sustain me until we get all settled in Moss Beach.

Daddio's mom is back in the area, so we'll be heading up to see her on Sunday after visiting our friend's church.

Homeschool is still happening, but it's pretty sporadic. It's interesting to watch how much Zoomer does on his own initiative--especially math! It's also fun to hear him read to us. A few months ago he claimed he couldn't do it, but the long break from "lessons" gave him a chance to let it gel for him.
Well, gotta go. Look for another update around my birthday!
Dawn

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home